Chief Technology Officer
Company has New York and San Francisco locations; remote possible
Evergreen is tackling some of the biggest challenges we are facing today in unemployment. We are a seed-stage team of experienced startup veterans backed by top-tier investors out of New York. We seek a “zero-to-one” engineer of broad imagination, willing to push the boundaries of what is technically possible, and driven to solve multiple complexities on the road to building a dream user experience. It is an experience poised to help many, many people.
We are hiring the first two dedicated engineering roles at the company to join the CTO. (The other one: Founding Full-Stack Software Engineer.) You will shape the product, technology, and team culture for years to come.
If you are motivated to solve problems, enlivened by a civic mission, enthusiastic to work with a cohesive team, and ready to create a legacy, come talk with us.
- Expand and improve our first product, a React Native app for iOS and Android
- Architect and build our second product, a React web app
- Design and build innovative new web user experiences
- Ideate and iterate with fellow engineers and designers on product offerings
- Break down projects into achievable increments, shipping high-quality software quickly
- Test your work with real-world users in tight user feedback sessions; test your work automatically with thoughtful automated testing
- Balance build vs. buy to test product hypotheses quickly
- Support overarching business goals by connecting product ideas and designs with metrics and emergent requirements
- Flex between what you know how to do vs. what you need to learn, making sound architectural decisions and shaping products that will live for years to come
- Conduct technology analyses/evaluations, infrastructure decisions, and deep code reviews
- Discover and implement new technologies that yield competitive advantage
- Communicate technology strategy to stakeholders, peers, and partners
- 4+ years building software on the web, preferably in startup environments
- Fundamental strength in engineering principles, whether from education or experience, including system design, performance, efficiency, and an ability to analyze and discuss code
- Backend software engineering experience with Python, Django, Postgres, and infrastructure with Amazon Web Services and/or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience shipping and maintaining production web systems with nontrivial traffic
- Strong point of view favoring quality and maintainability over novelty and overengineering
- The highest level of integrity, strong initiative, and drive
- Confident in producing and presenting work
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and time-management skills
if you're interested. No recruiters, please.